Training School for Nurses
Dr. George A. McCallum, Medical Superintendent of the former London Asylum for the Insane, established the Training School for Nurses in 1902. In his Annual Report that year, Dr. McCallum paid special attention to the efficiency of the attendants for the welfare of the whole institution. He believed that if attendants were given systematic training, they would be able to provide more efficient and intelligent care and treatment to the patients. The Training School for Nurses was established to fulfill this purpose. As well, Dr. McCallum hoped that the school would create a sense of community among the attendants and increase their interest in performing their duties. The training school was open to both male and female attendants. However, the designation of "nurse" came to refer only to trained female attendants.
The Training School for Nurses at the LAI was the third nursing school