1. If I visit another university can I borrow library materials?
Yes. All UWO Faculty are eligible to borrow from other university libraries through the OCLC Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing Program (RFBP).
The OCLC RFB Program provides faculty with access to scholarly materials held in nearly 200 university research libraries across North America.
For more information see http://www.oclc.org/membership/advisorycommittees/profile8.htm.
2. What do I need to borrow materials?
In order to take advantage of this program UWO faculty must:
- Request a Reciprocal Faculty Borrowing (RFBP) card at any Western Libraries Service Desk before visiting another university.
- Present their RFBP card (and usually their valid Western ONECard) at the participating institution's library.
Note:Whether the RFBP card will be accepted for on-site use and/or borrowing is dependent on the regulations of the external institution's Lending Code.
3. What can I borrow and for how long?
Privileges vary from institution to institution. UWO faculty members intending to visit a participating library should ask their home libraries to check online in the OCLC Name-Address Directory for the limitations and relevant policies and practices of the prospective lending library.
4. Where can I return items?
Borrowed material must be returned in person or by mail to the lending library.
It is the responsibility of UWO faculty to return all items within the loan period prescribed by the lending library.
5. What happens if I lose material or return it late?
- If you return materials late or damaged, or you lose materials, it is your responsibility to pay any fines or other charges incurred.
- If materials are recalled, it is your responsibility to return them immediately in person or by express mail by the date specified on the recall notice.
Please Note: The RFBP is a program of privileges. At its discretion, a participating institution may suspend the privileges of its own faculty or the faculty members of another institution.
6. How can faculty visiting UWO borrow from a UWO Library?
In order for visiting faculty members to borrow materials from a UWO Library s/he must:
- Be associated with a participating institution.
- Obtain an RFBP card prior to visiting Western Libraries.
- Present the RFBP card and valid identity card from his/her home institution at any UWO Library Service Desk.
Regular loan materials may be borrowed for 28 days. All loans are subject to the regulations listed in the Access Code for Western Libraries
Visiting faculty are responsible for any lost, late or damaged materials and will be fined/charged in accordance with the Access Code for Western Libraries