Western Libraries Map and Data Services subscribes to or is a member of numerous map and data services, including:
- Statistics Canada's Data Liberation Initiative
- This membership provides Western access to all publicly-available electronic data from Statistics Canada, including CANSIM, available either through the Statistics Canada interface (update in the past July), and the University of Toronto interface (updated daily). If you find data on the Statistics Canada DLI site which are not available through Equinox, please contact the Map and Data Centre for assistance: the Data Resources Librarian is the official DLI contact, and is authorized to download files from the Statistics Canada web site.
- The Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), in Ann Arbor, MI;
- Western subscribes to ICPSR-Direct, an online system which permits individual users to download data for themselves: if you need assistance with obtaining ICPSR files, please contact the Map and Data Centre: the Data Resources Librarian is the Official Representative to ICPSR.
- DMTI Spatial's Spatial Mapping Academic Research Tools (SMART) program;
- The SMART program provides Western with access to mapping and data products, including: Map, Rail, Park and Water layers, Route Logistics, Clutter files, the GeoPinPoint software, neighbourhood boundary files, Street files, postal code/forward sortation areas, and enhanced points of interest. These various files are made available through Equinox. Either the Map or Data Librarian can provide assistance with obtaining files not loaded into Equinox.
- The International Monetary Fund electronic library
- This subscription includes four widely-used databases (International Financial Statistics, Direction of Trade Statistics, Balance of Payment Statistics, and Government Finance Statistics) and access to all electronic publications of the IMF.
- The Ontario Geospatial Data Exchange (OGDE) and Land Information Ontario
- This service provides access to a vast assortment of geospatial layers from the provincial government. If files you require are not availble through Equinox, contact either the Data or Map Librarian for assistance.
For other financial databases, such as the Wharton Research Data Service (WRDS), be sure to check the holdings of the C.B. "Bud" Johnston Library.
Much of the data from the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) is available free of charge over the internet. Additionally, graduate students may obtain additional data from CIHI free of charge through the Graduate Student Data Access Program.
Statistics Canada Research Data Centre
Western hosts an on-site Research Data Centre (RDC), located in Room 1030 of the Social Science Centre. This secure facility provides authorized researchers with access to 'master' versions of microdata files from Statistics Canada, which have not undergone the exhaustive anonymization process necessary to prepare the public use microdata files (PUMF) which are provided through Equinox and <odesi>. If you require access to more detail on respondents than is provided through a PUMF, or a PUMF is not available for a survey from Statistics Canada, you may wish to apply for access to the data through the RDC program. Contact the RDC Analyst (519-850-2971) or the Map and Data Centre for further information