This page was reproduced with permission from the Canadian Manufactures Association. The Canadian Manufacturers Association, renamed Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, holds the Copyright for the text and images.
This information came from Industry '67 Centennial Perspective, published by The Canadian Manufacturers' Association in May 1967. The original document is accessible through Western Libraries Shared Catalogue.
100 years ago Orillia was a small village nestling on the shores of Lake Couchiching. Contact with the outside world was either overland by stage from muddy York or by sailing vessel across Lake Simcoe to Belle Ewart, the end of the government road north from Lake Ontario.
These were the roaring days of the timber trade, and shingle-making machines along with other woodworking machines were in great demand. Robert Brammer established his company-in 1865-to supply equipment to the woodworking industry.
Operating as a partnership, Long and Thompson, the company built an enviable reputation within the trade.
Then the coming of the railroad opened up a new world to the pioneer. New country was opened to settlers, lands were cleared, businesses established, and homes, churches and schools were built. The pioneer company then incorporated under the name "The E. Long Manufacturing Company, Limited", and the company operations were extended from the woodworking industry to cover the entire timber field.
A few years prior to World War I found the company and new plant on larger premises at Orillia and geared for the hostilities which broke out in 1914. The company then undertook the manufacture of projectiles for the Government. In 1917 a large addition was made to the plant which is now the central section of the main building.
With the coming of the roaring twenties lumber took second place to mining, as gold and base metal mines sprang up everywhere in Canada's northland. The company kept pace with the economy and by 1927 when the firm name was shortened to E. Long Limited it had become a major supplier of heavy mining equipment to the mining industries. Through an association begun in 1911 with the Dorr Company Inc. of New York, an agreement with Oliver United Filters Inc. of Oakland, California for the manufacture of industrial filters, led naturally in 1954 to the Dorr-Oliver-Long Corporation.
Through other product developments and additions to the company product line a further plant expansion was required and a large addition made to the foundry in 1940. A hydro blast cleaning system was added in 1942, a laboratory in 1944, a new foundry cleaning building in 1949 and a new large expansion to double the floor space of the existing foundry was completed in 1955.
Today the company is producing a major portion of the shaft and mill equipment used in large mines throughout the country and the mill equipment used in the vast pulp and paper industry.
In 1956 the name of the company was changed to Dorr-Oliver-Long Limited-part of Dorr-Oliver Inc., a world wide organization with head offices in Stamford, Connecticut.