National Sewer Pipe Limited
This page was reproduced with permission from the Canadian Manufactures Association. The Canadian Manufacturers Association, renamed Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, holds the Copyright for the text and images.
This information came from Industry '67 Centennial Perspective, published by The Canadian Manufacturers' Association in May 1967. The original document is accessible through Western Libraries Shared Catalogue.
National Sewer Pipe Limited is a family business which has descended through four generations of brick and pipe makers from the founder, Daniel New, an Englishman from the Isle of Wight who went into the brick business in Hamilton in the 1840's. His son, Henry, was manufacturing brick in Hamilton in 1867. In 1898 Henry and a brother, Jacob, switched to the pipe business, forming the Hamilton and Toronto Sewer Pipe Company. Their plant in the east end of the city is still part of the company holdings.
A member of the third generation, Ryland H. New, who is today, at 78, still the active head of the company, entered the business in 1908, and succeeded his father as President of the Hamilton and Toronto Sewer Pipe Company Limited in 1913.
In the course of time several competitive companies entered the field: Ontario Sewer Pipe Company in Mimico, Dominion Sewer Pipe in Swansea, and Canada Vitrified Products in St. Thomas, but in 1918, in a move sparked by the Hamilton and Toronto Company, three of them Hamilton and Toronto Sewer Pipe, Ontario Sewer Pipe and Dominion Sewer Pipe - jointly established a single sales agency in Toronto, The Clay Products Agency. For the next ten years, to the bafflement and chagrin of Ottawa's legal experts, all three companies sold their entire production - at the same price - to the nonprofit agency, which in turn handled sales for all three. In 1928 Ryland H. New bought out Ontario Sewer Pipe and Dominion Sewer Pipe and merged them with his own in a new company, National Sewer Pipe Limited. In 1953 Canada Vitrified Products of St. Thomas became a subsidiary, with National holding the controlling interest.
The company opened a new plant in Clarkson in 1955. With plans spearheaded by four'";generation Vice- President Ryland J. "Kelly" New the Clarkson plant was built to accommodate every advance in pipe technology, manufacturing and installation. It encompassed many of the technological advances
which the company has pioneered. (For instance, at Hamilton the New family were the first manufacturers in the world to use straight tunnel kilns for sewer pipe.)
The company claims as its most significant technical achievement the development of flexible pipe coupling. This solved two major problems associated with the use of cement and adhesives for coupling bell-end pipe: first, to remove a section of sewer pipe, the contractor had to break it; second, there was no "give" in a pipe line. With the flexible coupling it is possible to use Plain-End pipe, which is easier to extrude, and it is also possible for repair crews to cut out, through the coupling, only those portions of pipe that have to be replaced. Finally, the new coupling permits a 5 degree flexibility at each point where two pipes come together.
In 1962 the company's sewer pipe plant in Hamilton was converted to the manufacture of glazed structural tile, of which National Sewer Pipe is the sole Canadian producer, and ceramic glazed brick.