This essay was written in c 1959. It was copied from the Canadian Register of Commerce & Industry held in the Western Libraries at the University of Western Ontario. The original article should be consulted since this copy may contain some errors. The text and/or the images are being made available to researchers for scholarly purposes. They should not be used for commercial gain without the permission of the author or publisher.
In the autumn of 1958 the Fairey Aviation Company of Canada Limited was ten years old…ten years in which it has grown from a 6-man operation to a major Maritime enterprise employing close to one thousand people.
Actual operations commenced in March 1949, when the company undertook repair and overhaul work for the R.C.N. on the Supermarine "Seafire" and the Fairey "Firefly". In turn came the Hawker "Seafury" and modification work on the Grumman “Avenger”, so that where only small aircraft could be handled originally, mighty Avro "Lancasters" were undergoing conversion in 1950.
This Lancaster conversion program brought the company into close contact with the Royal Canadian Air Force and created again the need for additional plant expansion. The Lancaster was replaced in service by the Lockheed "Neptune" and a share of the repair overhaul and service of these aircraft fell to the company. On the Naval side Fairey of Canada is currently engaged in the modification and overhaul of the R.C.N.'s latest aircraft the twin-jet McDonnell "Banshee" and the DeHavilland "Tracker", standard Navy sub-killer.
Parallel with this primary role in purely aeronautical operations, Fairey of Canada has developed a component and instrument design and manufacturing organisation that is making important advances in fields outside that of aviation
This phase had its start when the company began manufacture of Hydro Booster Units--units which help take the physical strain from pilots controlling high speed aircraft by moving control surfaces hydraulically rather than manually.
Fairey of Canada successfully designed and manufactured units for the CF-100. The Canadair "Argus" is also installed with Fairey Hydraulic Actuators.
Design of hydraulic equipment brings with it problems of filtration and study of this phase led to the design or the Fairey Microfilter, which has, of course, many applications in industries beyond aviation. Yet another: Fairey designed and manufactured component--the Fairey Safety Ohmmeter. This instrument offers instrinsically safe testing of explosive circuits and has many applications in missiles, mining, quarrying and similar fields.
Recently, the Company was appointed Atlantic Provinces agent for RFD Inflatable Marine Survival Equipment. This agency includes sales, service inspection and repair of Inflatable Liferafts by fully trained engineers located at the Eastern Passage plant. Additionally, a complete stock of approved parts and material is held in the plant to ensure rapid work on this vastly improved type of survival equipment.
Front the initial negotiations which led to the purchase of a modern factory at Eastern Passage, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, to the present, the entire operations have been directed by Mr, C.E. Hibbert, M.B.E., today a Vice President and Managing Director.
The Eastern Passage plantis capable of further physical expansion, but the company intends to erect a hangar at the Halifax International Airport now nearing completion and thus participate in Canada's rapidly expanding Civil Aviation Industry.
Company Directors are: President, S.G. Dixon: Vice Presidents, G.W. Hall, C.E. Hibbert: Directors, C.G. Hawkins. J.C. Hibbard. L.S. Dawkins.
Company Officials are: Managing Director. C.E. Hibbert; Secretary/Treasurer, A.M. Cameron: Plant Manager. A.C. Earle: Chief Designer, F.C. Garrard; Chief Inspector, W.J. May.
Address--P.O. Box 69. Dartmouth, N.S., Eastern Passage, Halifax, N.S.
The West Coast Branch of the Fairey Aviation Company of Canada Limited was formed in 1955 at Sidney, Vancouver Island. The plant at Patricia Bay Airport occupies approximately 50,000 sq. ft. of modern factory space and the employment figure is steady at about one hundred people.
The facility handles mainly repair, overhaul and modification of both Military and Civil Aircraft.
As an illustration of the diversity of work now undertaken, the Branch company recently completed the conversion of ex-military Avenger aircraft to commercial crop-dusting roles. Additionally, work is being carried out on several items of hospital equipment.