This page contains information and links to resources relevant to the Earth Sciences 4490E library instruction session.
- Effective Search Strategies
- Background Literature
- Primary Literature
- Managing Citations
- Interlibrary Loans
Effective Search Strategies
Basic Searching Skills tutorial | Advanced Searching Skills tutorial material
Search Strategy Worksheet (click for the document)
Library catalogue: conduct keyword or subject search to find relevant books/encyclopedias/handbooks.
Note: The catalogue is not a place to search for journal articles; however, if you do know a journal's title, you can check if we subscribe to it.
* Map and Data Centre: for map and data services and resources.
See recommeded resources from Earth Sciences Databases.
To check if a journal is peer-reviewed, use Ulrich's Periodicals Directory.
- For managing citations & formatting bibliographies
- Online tutorial includes all the basics
- See the instructions for importing references into RefWorks from several databases
- The plugin Write-N-Cite for users to cite references in writting papers from RefWorks
Use RACER to order the journal or conference articles or books that Western Libraries does not hold. You need to register for an individual account before you can request an item. The service is free. If you have any questions about using RACER, please ask at the Research Help Desk at Taylor.
Need Library Help?
Shiyi Xie 661-2111 ext 86241
Taylor Library Research Help Desk
for phone,email, and Instant Messaging
and for in-person hours