Economics and Finance Web Sites
These sites are ones that generally provide free information. For access to additional data and to proprietary resources, students should browse our list of Business Databases.
For more information, including research help, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Library subject guides:
The following are topical guides and websites created by the business library staff, relating to economics and finance.
- Statistical Sites on the Worldwide Web: Hosted by the U.S. Department of Labor, this site provides a convenient starting point to locate statistical agencies around the world.
- Yahoo Finance: Contains stock quotes, up to date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, message boards, and mortgage rates. A good source to use to look up ticker symbols.
- Google Finance: Finance news and market summaries.
General Data Sources:
- Oanda.com: Provides currency and foreign exchange rates to investor’s travelers and online businesses. Includes Currency Conversion and Localization, Decision Support Tools for Institutional Investors and Currency Markets Transactions Services.
- XE: A foreign exchange rate calculator that is up-to-date.
- What was the exchange rate?: Lists historical exchange rates versus the U.S. dollar for 40 countries. With the exception of the U.K., all the data is from the 20th century (U.K. data begins in 1791).
- Monetary Standards and Exchange Rates by Maria Cristina Marcuzzo, Lawrence H. Officer and Annalisa Rosseli.
- Yahoo Finance Bonds Center: Contains new and information as well as tools (rates, charts, etc) and a bond screener.
- Bank of Canada: Canadian interest rates, Selected bond yields and treasury bill yields, money market yields, U.S. interest rates, yield curves for zero-coupon and more.
- Bonds Online: Search results include Moody and S&P bond ratings as well as prices. News and commentary are also available.
- Investing in Bonds: Source of bond price information and includes a wide variety of market data, news, commentary and information about bonds.
- Bloomberg Rates and Bonds: Includes key rates, mortgage rates, U.S. treasuries, municipal bonds, and related news.
- Canadian Business Online: Bond information includes current news, banker's acceptance, commercial paper, Treasury bill, US bond & notes, US swaps, and US other.
- SEDAR: The System for Electronic Document Analysis and Retrieval contains the public filings of all Canadian public companies and investment funds starting around 1997.
- EDGAR: This SEC site begins c1994 and provides public filings by U.S. corporations.
- Business Library Company Information Site: Guide to annual reports holdings of the Business Library.