Faculty

G. Edgar Hobbs

Dr. G. Edgar Hobbs
Faculty of Medicine

Tenure 1937 - 1973

Dr. G. Edgar Hobbs was born in Toronto in 1907. He attended the University of Toronto and graduated with a degree in medicine in 1933. He also received a silver medal. Following graduation, Dr. Hobbs interned at Toronto General Hospital and subsequently took a position for a year at Ontario Hospital and two years at Toronto Psychiatric Hospital. In 1937 he completed a degree in psychiatry at the University of Toronto. Dr. Hobbs became an instructor of psychiatry at Western and the Director of the Mental Health Clinic at Ontario Hospital in London.

He was named Professor of Clinical Preventive Medicine in 1945 and due to his expertise in the subject, was named next in line for the Head of the Department of Psychiatry. In 1953, he accepted this position where he remained as the Head of the Department until 1972. Dr. Hobbs continued on as a Professor in the Department for an additional year before his retirement in 1973.

Back