Men's Athletics

Golf

In 1930, a group of Western football players decided to play a round of golf at the London Hunt and Country Club. Part of the course itself was actually Western property because the Club had leased a portion of the campus in 1917 in order to expand from a nine to eighteen-hole course. Inspired by the game and easy access to the course, the players wrote to the Western Gazette suggesting that Western should organize an intercollegiate golf team. Western listened to the request and in 1932 an official intercollegiate golf team was created.  

Western golfers were immediately successful, winning intermediate championships in 1932 and 1934. The talents of golfer Jack Nash were instrumental to Western’s 1932 championship win.

The 1950s saw Western win five intercollegiate titles in seven years. One of the key athletes during this period was Jimmy Neale. After the 1959-60 championship, Western didn’t taste gold again until the 1981-82 and 1991-92 seasons. 

It was also after 1960 that the London Hunt and Country Club moved locations, making room for Western’s expanding student population and campus buildings.  As Shirley Metras, wife of the then Director of Athletics John Metras, once said: “No more random golf balls through the windows of the Science Service Laboratory!" 

In more recent history, Western captured silver at the Ontario University Athletic  championships in 2006 and 2009 before finally capturing gold in 2010.

 For a history of women's golf at Western, click here.

1934-35 intercollegiate champions.

After the Hunt Club left Western, students still attempted to play golf on the campus portion of the old course. Courtesy of UWO Student Council.

The 1963-64 team placed second at the Ontario-Quebec Athletic Association Championship. Courtesy of UWO Student Council.

The 1983-84 team. Coach Dutch Decker can be seen in the middle wearing a blazer.

Western's 1990-91 team.