Volleyball began at Western as a non- intercollegiate sport in the 1930s; the teams were divided by faculty and played recreationally. After several years the faculty teams entered into inter-city competition.
Since volleyball was not an intercollegiate sport it was played throughout the war years as both an intramural sport and as a “representative” sport. Like in hockey, these teams "represented" Western in competition against other universities in the war years during which varsity teams were banned. In the 1944-45 season, the medical school volleyball team represented Western at a provincial meet held in Toronto.
In the 1965-66 season, Western entered its first intercollegiate team in the Ontario-Quebec Athletic Association (O-QAA) league. The first of coach Dutch Decker’s ten seasons as volleyball coach began with a one-day tournament in Guelph in which Western placed third. According to coach Decker, “the volleyball was tremendous … of a high order. There were no pushovers.”
In addition to having several graduate students on the team, Western’s first volleyball teams were very international in composition, with players from the Netherlands, India, China, Korea and Hungary.
In its third season (1967-68), Western won the O-QAA championship and placed fourth in the Canadian Interuniversity Athletic Union.
Building on that strength, Western’s volleyball team went on to win the O-QAA in the 1968-69 season and then went to the Canadian Intercollegiate Athletic Union championship in New Brunswick where they lost to the University of Winnipeg in the finals.
In the 1970-71 season, the team again won the championship. Championships were also won in the 1975-76 and 1978-79 seasons.
For information on women's volleyball at Western, click here.