Women's Athletics

Golf

The women’s golf club first appeared in the early 1930s. During the Second World War, the sport was played in inter-Western competitions with Alma, Brescia, and Waterloo colleges.

Women’s golf was formally introduced at Western in 1950, with the McMaster Invitational Tournament. In 1955, four women played golf for Western. One of these players, Noreen Laing, was recognized as one of the top female golfers in Canada when she arrived at Western. That season, the quartet won the inter-university West-O-Mac league meet against the Ontario Agricultural College (later  part of the University of Guelph) and McMaster.

1954-55  Golf

1954-55 women's golf team. Courtesy of UWO Student Council.

Women’s golf did not become an intercollegiate sport at Western until the 2002-03 season. Lindsey Edmunds, a second-year student at Western, began to lobby for the creation of a women’s competitive team because she wanted to play golf, but didn’t want to try out for the men’s team. In 2002, Edmunds convinced the Ontario University Athletics league to recognize individual female golfers. In 2003, the women’s golf team was recognized by the Canadian Interuniversity Sport league, and competed in a tournament organized by the Royal Canadian Golf Association. In 2004, the team won second place at the national championships.

For a history of men's golf click here.

1962-63 Women's Golf

1962-63 women's golf team. Note Mrs. B on the right. Courtesy of UWO Student Council.