The formation of a women’s badminton program came in the 1930s as part of an overall growth in women’s athletics at Western which saw increased participation by women in several areas. Club photos from the Occidentalia yearbook throughout the 1930s show mixed male and female teams as well as women-only badminton teams. By 1935 there was enough participation for the formation of mixed male and female “A” and “B” teams. 1937 was a big year for badminton at Western as the sport was added to the inter-Western league. The sport also became included in the Women’s Intercollegiate Athletic Union for the first time that year, with Western hosting the first intercollegiate tournament.
For a history of men's badminton, click here.