The University of Western Ontario Archives | Contact Us | Site Map
The Faculty of Nursing Collection

The Faculty of Nursing Collection
The University of Western Ontario Archives

Home
Deans and Faculty
Education
Facilities
Photographs
References

Facilities of the Faculty of Nursing

The Institute of Public Health - 1912

The Institute of Public Health - 1912

The first home of nursing for The University of Western Ontario was in The Institute of Public Health located on South Street. The Institute was built in 1910 but remained empty for two years due to financial problems. The Institute was a three storey building. The basement contained the office of the Victorian Order of Nurses, the London Child Welfare Association, and the library. The first floor contained the office of the Dean and the Chief of the Certificate of Public Health Nurse program course. The main chemistry lab and student labs were located on the second floor and the third floor contained the bacteriology and serological labs.

Although the Institute was a new building, space was an issue. The building could not contain the large number of staff and students. Talks of a new building began immediately but The Institute of Public Health remained the site of the Faculty of Nursing until January, 1951 when it moved to University College and in 1958 to the Natural Sciences Building.

In the 1960s, a plan for a new school of nursing was a top priority. The move to the Natural Sciences Building was a temporary arrangement as a fundraising campaign commenced to raise the money necessary for a nursing facility.

Mr. S. Kresge, founder of the Kresge Foundation, met with Dr. Hall and Mr. Jack White of the Board of Governors to discuss a possible donation for the nursing building. They met with great success as Mr. Kresge donated $200,000 to the project. In recognition of his generosity, the new building was named the Kresge School of Nursing.

The building of the new nursing school commenced in 1958 and was ready for the nursing faculty in December, 1960. The building contained amphitheater classrooms, five rooms furnished with tables and chairs, a reading room, and office and conference areas.

Although the Faculty has since moved to another location, the Kresge School for Nursing was the first attempt to provide the Faculty of Nursing with a space specifically designed for the delivery of nursing programs to its students.

Kresge School of Nursing

Kresge School of Nursing

-Back to Top-