A valid university identification card is required to borrow items from Western Libraries and the Affiliated University College Libraries (Brescia, Huron, King's) and St. Peter's Seminary.
Take control of your library account:
- have your card activated by library staff to borrow items and use Self Checkout
- report lost cards immediately to library staff
- avoid fines by renewing online or in person by the due date
Your library card options are:
Western ONECard- issued to current students, faculty and staff of Western and the Affiliated University College Libraries.
Alumni card- issued to Western graduates. To obtain your free card, contact Alumni Relations.
Direct Borrower’s card- issued to current students, faculty and staff of other Canadian universities; must fill out application form at any Service Desk.
Guest Borrower’s card- issued to members of the general public; must complete application form; fees apply.
Faculty Authorized Borrower card- Faculty and instructors may authorize students or assistants to borrow materials for university research / teaching purposes. To setup authorization, complete and submit the Faculty Authorized Borrowers form.
|Patron Type||Regular Loans||Renewals||Recalls||Short Loan||Interlibrary Loan|
Librarians & Archivists
Western Libraries is a member of several library consortia that permit reciprocal borrowing privileges for faculty, students and staff at most Canadian academic libraries and many academic libraries in the United States. For details please see:
- Western Students, Faculty & Staff Borrowing at Canadian University Libraries
- Western Faculty Borrowing at Other University Libraries
- Visiting Faculty, Students & Staff Borrowing at Western University
- Visiting Faculty Borrowing at Western University
Where Can I Borrow?
You may borrow items from any of the Western Libraries and the Affiliated University College Libraries.
For information on how long you can borrow items, please consult our loan policies page.
You may renew regular loan items unless:
- they are on hold for another patron
- they have been recalled
- your account has been suspended because of overdue items or fines over $5.00 in total
Reserve and short loan items are not eligible for renewal.
Library items should be returned as soon as they are no longer needed so they are available for use by others:
- regular loan and recalled items may be returned to any of the Western Libraries or Affiliated University College Libraries
- reserve and short loan items must be returned to the owning library (e.g. an EDU 3-day book must be returned to the Education Library) by the date specified.
Items returned after the due date will be subject to overdue fines.
Take control of your library account-- Avoid fines by returning materials on time or renewing them by the due date. For details on fines, click here.