What is a Recall?
The recall service enables you to obtain library items currently checked out to someone else. Only Western and Affiliated University College students, faculty and staff may recall requestable library items on loan.
If You are Recalling an item:
- If an item is on loan and requestable in the academic search tool, a request option is available in the item record.
- Once the recall is placed, the status of the item is available by checking My Library Account, or from library staff.
- Use My Library Account, if you need to cancel your request.
- An email will be sent to you when the item is available for pickup.
- Once the item is ready for pickup it is held for you at the Service Desk for four days only.
- There can be multiple requests on an item.
If an item has been Recalled from You:
- When you borrow a regular loan item from Western Libraries you are assured its use for at least seven days.
- Items that have been recalled cannot be renewed.
- Notification is sent to you by email/text alert. Non-receipt of a recall notice does not relieve you of any/all fines incurred, and suspension of borrowing privileges. Check your email regularly to avoid missing recall notices.
- You must return the item by the new due date specified in the recall notice.
- A fine of $4.00 per day is charged for each recalled item not returned by the date specified in the recall notice. Borrowing privileges are suspended when you have any overdue items or you exceed the $20.00 fines threshold.