What is a Recall?
The recall service enables you to obtain library items currently checked out to someone else. Only Western and Affiliated University College students, faculty and staff may recall requestable library items on loan. General guidelines are described in the Access Code for Western Libraries, s.7.4.
If You are Recalling an item:
- If an item is on loan and requestable in the Shared Library Catalogue, the button will appear on the record. Read more information about the recall process.
- Once the recall is placed, the status of the item is available by checking My Library Account, or from library staff. The status of the recalled item is also noted in the catalogue record, e.g.: DUE yr/mn/dy +1 recalled
- Use My Library Account, if you need to cancel your recall
- A pickup notice/text alert will be sent to you when the item is available for pickup
- Once the item is ready for pickup it is held for you at the Service Desk for four days only
- There can be multiple requests on an item.
If an item has been Recalled from You:
- When you borrow a regular loan item from Western Libraries you are assured its use for at least seven days
- Items that have been recalled cannot be renewed
- Notification is sent to you by email/ text alert. Users who do not have an email account or use text/SMS alerts will be notified by mail. Non-receipt of a recall notice does not relieve you of any/all fines incurred, and suspension of borrowing privileges. Check your email regularly to avoid missing recall notices
- You must return the item by the new due date specified in the recall notice
- A fine of $3.00 per day is charged for each recalled item not returned by the date specified in the recall notice. Borrowing privileges are suspended when you have any overdue items or you exceed the $5.00 fines threshold.