Help with SDC Platinum
A large (102 page) User’s Handbook, in .pdf format, prepared by SDC Platinum, is available here, and within the Help in the online database. In SDC Platinum, help is available, on screen, at every step of the process, and a Help topic-search is always available on the top menu bar. Basic Guide
In SDC Platinum, help is available, on screen, at every step of the process, and a Help topic-search is always available on the top menu bar.
The following is a guide for the U.S. and Non U.S. Mergers and Acquisitions database. It illustrates a basic search and report preparation in the database. The other databases follow the same format.
SDC Platinum is available on Bloomberg Terminal 7in the C.B. "Bud" Johnston Library in the Ivey School of Business. Please ask staff for assistance.
- To begin, double click on the SDC Platinum icon on the desktop screen.
- Click the Login button on the SDC Platinum popup box.
- Enter jm in the User Initials Login popup box, and click on the OK button.
- In the Billing Information popup box, enter a name for your project (any word or phrase of your choice), and click the OK button.
- Some SDC Bulletins may appear, just click OK to clear them as they appear.
- In the Database Selection popup box, click on the Mergers and Acquistions tab, and select Non-US Targets, and click on the OK button.
- In the Date Announced box, enter a date or a date range for your search and click on the OK button. The date format is dd/mm/yyyy. Note: dates within the last 30 days cannot be used.
- A large International Mergers Session window will open with a Search Items popup box in the foreground. At the top of the large window two lines should show what database has been chosen and the date period chosen
- In the Search Items popup box, highlight Target Nation and double click.
- In the Target Nation popup box that opens, double click on Americas to expand the list.
- Highlight Canada and double click. The process of selecting Canada is completed when the line turns red in colour and a large checkmark appears to the left of the line.
- Click on the OK button. A new line is added to the large window behind the Search Items popup box, with the criteria Target Nation: CA added to lines indicating the date range and database that were selected previously.
- Back at the Search Items popup box, highlight Target Primary NAIC and double click.
- In the Find box of the Target Primary NAIC popup box type bank.
- Highlight Commercial Banking in the list that appears and double click to select, and click on the OK button. Once again, a new line indicating this search criteria is added to the large window behind the popup box when the selection is completed.
- Close the Search Items popup box.
Executing a Search
- In the large window, four lines describing the criteria of your search should appear.
- With the last line of criteria highlighted, double click on the Execute icon in the icon bar above the window.
- As each step in the search is completed a large checkmark will appear at the left end of the line and a number will appear in the Hits column. Hits are the number of transactions found by the search.
Preparing a Report
- With last line of the search criteria in the large window highlighted, click Report in the icon bar immediately above the window.
- A Standard Report popup box will appear with tabs for Brief and Comprehensive standard reports. You may see the format for any of these reports by highlighting the report name and clicking on the Example button in the lower right corner of the box.
- Highlight the Brief Financial's report and double click.
- In the Report Options box that opens, type My Report in Line 1, and click on the OK button.
- A new line will appear in the large window indicating what report style you want. With that line highlighted, double click on the Execute icon. After some time, the report will appear on the screen.
- You may design your own report format by clicking on the word Report in the top horizontal menu bar and choosing New Custom.
Saving and Printing
- With the report on the screen, click on Save in the icon bar. You can save in .txt or .xls formats.
- With the report on the screen, click on Print in the icon bar. In the Report Print Selection box, highlight the name of your report, and double click to select it, and click the OK button.