FAQ - Interlibrary Loans
1. I am having trouble logging in, or have forgotten my password
- Ensure your login information is correct:
- Login = your Western ID number (student, faculty, staff)
- Password = password you created
- Your Library = Choose "Western" from the drop-down menu
- I have registered, and now I forget my password. What do I do?
- I have previously registered and I am unable to access RACER. What do I do?
2. How much does this service cost?
- Generally, there is no charge for this service. If any charges do arise, you will be contacted by the Interlibrary Loans staff prior to your request being placed.
- Fees may be paid by cash, cheque, or may be charged to a Western account.
- In Weldon, Taylor or King's Libraries, fees may be paid by debit card, Visa or MasterCard.
- All charges are due when the requested material is picked up.
3. What cannot be borrowed?
- An entire issue or volume of a journal.
- E-Resources (ebooks)
- Rare, valuable or reference material may be difficult to obtain.
- Items listed in the Shared Library Catalogue. Items currently on loan may be recalled.
- On reserve or short loan material.
- Audiovisual materials are borrowed through Media Booking.
4. I am getting an error message. What do I do?
- If your sign-in error message is "Authentication Declined. Invalid Username and/or Password"
- Enter your Western ID number (student, faculty, staff) as your login
- Enter the password you created when you registered in RACER
- Choose "Western" as your Library from the drop down menu
- If you still cannot sign in, please contact the Interlibrary Loans Staff.
- If your sign-in error message is "Your Account has expired"
5. I could not find my item in the RACER catalogues, how do I submit my request?
- Use the Advanced Search with options such as title, author, subject or ISBN.
- If you are still having difficulty locating the item within RACER, please complete and submit the RACER Blank Request Form located on the left side-bar under My Account.
6. How long will it take for my request to arrive?
- Your request may come from anywhere in Canada, the United States or off continent.
- Staff find the best source and arrange for the material to be delivered to campus.
- If your request has a deadline, please note this in "special instructions" on the RACER form.
- Photocopies are normally available within a week.
- Loans usually take 1 to 4 weeks to arrive.
7. Will I be contacted?
- Once you have registered for the first time on RACER, you will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- You will be contacted by e-mail if additional information is needed for your request, e.g. charges apply.
- You will be notifed by e-mail when your item has arrived.
- You will be notified when your request is cancelled because:
- the item is available at one of our Western Libraries
- staff cannot find any library which will supply the item you need
8. How will I get my article?
- In most cases, you will receive an email message explaining how to access your article electronically.
- Sometimes, the format in which the article was received requires that a print copy be sent to your selected pickup location.
9. How do I check the status of my request?
10. How long may I borrow the item?
- Your loan period for books or microforms is 3-6 weeks from the first e-mail notification confirming its arrival.
- There are no renewals.
- Material is subject to Recall.
- Items "For Use In Library Only" must remain in the Library and be returned to the Service Desk before closing at the end of each day.
11. How do I cancel an Interlibrary Loan request?
- Please contact Interlibrary Loans Staff with your request number.
- Cancellations are dependant on the current status of your request.
12. How do I set up and use my search profile?
- Within RACER:
- Select Search Profiles (left side-bar under My Account)
- Select Create, then name and describe your profile
- Select your desired collections
- Your profile has now been added to the list of searchable collections
13. How do I see a list of all my requests?
- Sign into RACER, select My Requests located on the left side-bar under My Account
- Under Requests List, select Show Everything
- This lists all your past and present requests
- Click on Details for further information
14. Can I use Interlibrary Loan to request hard copy (e.g. print, microfilm) of a title we have electronically?
- Yes, hard copy versions can be requested through ILL. Please indicate in "special instructions" on the request form that you require a hard copy version.
15. Where can I return my Interlibrary Loans?
- You can return Interlibrary Loans to any Western Libraries' location or Affiliated University College Library.