Finding CDs, LPs and Videos Using the Western Libraries Catalogue
The Music Library owns more than 27,000 catalogued CDs. Our collection grows daily as our cataloguers work through our backlog of CDs.
To search for recordings, use the KEYWORD search feature of the Libraries catalogue.
Here are a few tips and tricks depending upon the genre you seek:
To enhance your success rate include the keyword 'COMPACT' to narrow your search results to CDs-ONLY.
To Find Classical Instrumental CDs
INCLUDE (in your KEYWORD search):
- COMPOSER'S SURNAME
- keyword COMPACT to narrow your search-results to CDs-only
- Boolean "AND" is unnecessary: a single space = "AND" in your search strategy
- PLURAL of the genre (e.g. SONATAS, even if you want only ONE - trust me!!)
- Name of the INSTRUMENT, if applicable
- If you seek a CD of music for two or more like instruments, then say so, e.g. CLARINETS
You may also find it helpful to include:
- OPUS or thematic catalogue number for the work (eg. 31 if you want any of Beethoven's Op. 31 sonatas)
- UNIQUE or DISTINCTIVE word from the TITLE, if applicable
- PERFORMER's name (e.g. Schiff, or Brendel, or Goode)
BEETHOVEN SONATAS PIANO COMPACT GOODE
- OR -
- TITLE of the desired song – in quotation marks, e.g. "SCENTLESS APPRENTICE"
- NAME of the GROUP or PERFORMER, e.g. NIRVANA
- "ONE SPACE" (one space = "AND") to connect KEYWORDS and (phrases-in-parentheses)
For POP MUSIC, you may find it useful to Search by AUTHOR:
- popular performers using the form LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME:
e.g. PRESLEY, ELVIS
- TITLE of the song or aria – within double quotation marks, e.g. "GRETCHEN AM SPINNRADE"
- “AND” to connect KEYWORDS and (phrases-in-parentheses)
- COMPOSER’S SURNAME
- the keyword COMPACT to narrow your search-results to CDs-only
You may also find it useful to include:PERFORMER’s name (e.g. Bartoli, Otter, Pavarotti, or Ramey)
e.g. "GRETCHEN AM SPINNRADE" COMPACT AUGER
If you do NOT find a desired aria:
- DELETE your "Title in quotation marks"
- INCLUDE the OPUS or thematic catalogue NUMBER for the LARGER WORK (e.g. “626" if you seek any aria from Mozart’s Requiem, KV. 626)
- ADD a UNIQUE or DISTINCTIVE word from the TITLE of the LARGER WORK
Call numbers for all LPs (black vinyl, long playing records) in the Music Library start with either "Rec" or "MTR".
Follow the same instructions for finding CDS butsubstitute the word "SOUND" for "COMPACT."
...to remove ALL CDs from your result - note the use of quotation marks WITHIN parentheses - plus the phrase "AND NOT":
- Keyword "VIDEORECORDING" or "VIDEO*" to narrow your search-results to videos-only
- "A SPACE" to connect your KEYWORDS (one SPACE = Boolean "AND")
PLUS one or more of the following:
- UNIQUE or DISTINCTIVE word(s) from the TITLE or SUBJECT
- COMPOSER'S SURNAME, if applicable
- PERFORMER's name (e.g. Bernstein, Rattle, etc.) if applicable
- LIMIT your search by MATERIAL TYPE - videos, etc.
e.g. VIDEORECORDING FIGARO
Call numbers for all VHS video-recordings in the Music Library - Western Libraries begin with the prefix "MVD". You may "browse" this collection in-library, as the MVDs will be found on the shelves which are found AFTER the "NEW BOOKS" shelf in the Music Library; you may "browse on-line" by doing a Call Number search on the prefix MVD.
If you seek the Music Library's collection of DVD videos, search on the Call Number prefix of MDVD, and browse through the listings as found on the Western Libraries Shared Library Catalogue.
Back to Top
Revised 2015.10.20 LRP