Find Repertoire for Double Bass
Find a Known Piece of Music
Browse the Shelves for Double Bass Music
|M 55 - 58||double bass alone with no accompaniment|
|M 237 - 238||double bass with piano or continuo|
|M 238||double bass sonatas|
|M 1018||double bass with full orchestra, or with piano reduction of orchestral part, concertos, etc.|
|M 1118||double bass with string orchestra, full scores or piano reduction of string orchestra part|
|MT 320 - 330||studies, methods, and technique|
|MT 331||orchestral excerpts|
Additional information regarding call numbers can be found at Music Cataloguing at Yale: Music Call Numbers
A SUBJECT search is NOT the same as a KEYWORD search. Library of Congress Subject Headings are assigned by cataloguers.
- Sonatas (Double bass and...)
- Suites (Double bass and...)
- Double bass instruction...
- Double bass methods
- Double bass studies...
WARNING: If, for example, you use the Subject "double bass music" you will find miscellaneous solo works only!
Most music will be found under the subject heading for a specific genre.
Words or terms from Subject Headings may be used in KEYWORD searching.
Consult section on String Ensembles.
Much unusual and twentieth-century music for the Double Bass may be found in the Solo Music Reference Collection housed in the Choral/Band/Orchestral Music Library. The general classification number for Double Bass music in the SMRC is MUS 4055.
- Early Music
- American String Teacher
- Orchestra Canada becomes OC News (1998)
- International Musician (the American Federation of Musicians publication)
- Historical Performance becomes Early Music America
New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians
Ref ML 100.G8 2001
Located on the Dictionary Table
Detailed and scholarly information on the history of the double bass and double bass repertory.
GROVEMUSIC: The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians [online]
Updated regularly. Western-ONLY.
Grovemusic provides access to the full text of:
- The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd. ed., 29 vols., published in 2001 (25 million words; 29,000 articles), plus the complete text of
- The New Grove Dictionary of Opera (1992),
- The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, 2nd edition,
- The Norton Grove Dictionary of Women Composers (1994),
- The Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition (2013), and
- The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, 2nd edition (2014).
Search by the Subject Heading Double Bass - history to retrieve books which cover the history of the Double Bass.