Finding Repertoire for String Ensembles
Browse the Shelves for Music
|M 349-353||string trios|
|M 450-454||string quartets|
|M 551-552||string quintets|
|M 650-654||string sextets|
|M 852||string octets|
|M 952||9 or more string instruments|
Additional information regarding call numbers can be found at Music Cataloguing at Yale: Call Numbers from Yale University.
Subject Headings for strings in standard combination include:
N.B. Much string ensemble music includes piano.
- Standard string trios always consist of violin, viola, and cello.
- Standard string quartets always consist of two violins, viola and cello.
Subject Headings for strings in non-standard combinations include:
- Trios (Piano, clarinet, viola)
- String Trios (violins (3))
- Quartets (Flute, violin, viola, cello)
- String Quartets (Violin, viola,cello, double bass)
- Quintets (Horn, violins (2), viola, cello)
- String Quintets (Violins (2) ...)
Non-standard ensembles are usually listed under the number of instruments.
e.g. Duets Unspecified instruments
After each basic Subject Heading the instruments are organized in the following order:
- winds (alphabetically)
- strings (in score order)
- Chamber Music Discographies
- Finding CDs, LP Recordings and Videos
- Western's Don Wright Faculty of Music Student / Faculty / Guest Artist Recitals