Finding Repertoire for Trumpet
Browse the Shelves for Trumpet Music
|M 85 - 89||trumpet alone - no accompaniment|
|M 260 - 261||trumpet with piano or continuo|
|M 1030||trumpet with full orchestra, concertos, etc.|
|M 1031||trumpet with piano reduction of concertos, etc.|
|M 1130||trumpet with string orchestra, concertos, etc.|
|M 1131||trumpet with piano reduction of string orchestra|
|MT 440 - 456||studies and methods for trumpet|
|MT 446||orchestral excerpts|
For additional information about Music Call numbers, please consult Music Cataloguing at Yale.
A SUBJECT search is NOT the same as a KEYWORD search. Library of Congress Subject Headings are assigned by cataloguers.
- Sonatas (Trumpet and...)
- Suites (trumpet and ...)
- Concertos (Trumpet with ...) [...an ensemble]
- Trumpet Studies and exercises
- Trumpet Orchestral excerpts
WARNING: If, for example, you use the Subject Heading "trumpet music" you will find miscellaneous solo works only!
Most music will be found under the Subject Heading for a specific genre. Words or terms from Subject Headings may be used in KEYWORD searching.
For information on Trumpet in Brass Ensembles.
Much unusual and twentieth-century music for the trumpet may be found in the Solo Music Reference Collection housed in the Choral/Band/Orchestral Music Library. The general classification number for horn music in the SMRC is MUS 4085.
Click-on these Subject Headings to see all of the trumpet-related periodicals to which we subscribe:
New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians [Ref ML 100.G8 2001] - on the Dictionary Table,
and its online counterpart,
GROVEMUSIC-The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians.
Detailed and scholarly information on the history of the horn and members of the trumpet family and its repertory.
Grovemusic provides access to the full text of:
- The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd. ed., 29 vols., published in 2001 (25 million words; 29,000 articles), plus the complete text of
- The New Grove Dictionary of Opera (1992),
- The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, 2nd edition,
- The Norton Grove Dictionary of Women Composers (1994),
- The Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition (2013), and
- The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, 2nd edition (2014)
Fasman, Mark J. Brass Bibliography: Sources on the History, Literature, Pedagogy, Performance, and Acoustics of Brass Instruments. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1990. [Ref ML 128.B72F3 1990]
Herbert, Trevor and John Wallace, eds. The Cambridge Companion to Brass Instruments. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997. [ML 933.C36 1997]
- Trumpet Music Discography
- Finding CDs - Western Libraries owns more than 19,000 CDs. Keyword searching is a fast and efficient way to find the ones you want.
- Western's Don Wright Faculty of Music Student / Faculty / Guest Artist Recitals