Find Repertoire for Viola
Find a Known Piece of Music
Browse the Shelves for Viola Music
|M 45 - 49||viola alone, i.e. with no accompaniment|
|M 224 - 228||viola with piano or continuo|
|M 1014||viola with full orchestra, concertos, etc.|
|M 1015||viola with full orchestra - reduced for piano|
|M 1114||viola with string orchestra, concertos, etc.|
|M 1115||viola with string orchestra - reduced for piano|
|MT 280 - 298||studies, methods, and techniques for viola|
|MT 286||orchestra studies|
For additional information about Call Numbers/Classification Numbers, please consult this page from Yale University: Music Cataloguing at Yale: Call Numbers
A SUBJECT search is NOT the same as a KEYWORD search. Library of Congress Subject Headings are assigned by cataloguers.
- Sonatas (Viola and ...)
- Suites (Viola and ...)
- Concertos (Viola)
- Viola Instruction and Study
- Viola Studies
WARNING: If, for example, you use the Subject "viola music" you will find miscellaneous solo works only! Most music will be found under the Subject Heading for a specific genre.
Words or terms from Subject Headings may be used in KEYWORD searching, but not vice-versa.
Consult section on String Ensembles.
Viola Music Found in the Solo Music Reference Collection
Much unusual and twentieth-century music for the viola may be found in the Solo Music Reference Collection housed in the Choral/Band/Orchestral Music Library. The general classification number for viola music in the SMRC is MUS 4045.
- Early Music
- American String Teacher
- Orchestra Canada - becomes OC News (1998)
- International Musician - the American Federation of Musicians (union) publication
- Historical Performance - becomes Early Music America
New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians Ref ML 100.G8 2001 - on the Dictionary Table. Detailed and scholarly information on the history of the viola and members of the violin family and the viola repertory.
GROVEMUSIC - The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians
[online] Updated regularly. Western-only. grovemusic.com.
Grovemusic provides access to the full text of:
- The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd. ed., 29 vols., published in 2001 (25 million words; 29,000 articles), plus the complete text of
- The New Grove Dictionary of Opera (1992),
- The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, 2nd edition,
- The Norton Grove Dictionary of Women Composers (1994),
- The Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition (2013), and
- The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, 2nd edition (2014).
The fastest way to find books about viola history is to search the Western Libraries Catalogue using the Subject Viola History.