Find Repertoire for Violin
Browse the Shelves for Violin Music
|M 40 - 44||violin alone with no accompaniment|
|M 217 - 223||violin with piano or continuo|
|M 219||violin sonatas|
|M 1012||violin with full orchestra, concertos, etc.|
|M 1013||violin with full orchestra - reduced for piano|
|M 1112||violin with string orchestra, concertos, etc.|
|M 1113||violin with string orchestra - reduced for piano|
|MT 260 - 279||studies, methods, and technique for violin|
|MT 266||orchestral excerpts|
For additional information about Call Numbers/Classification Numbers, please consult this page from Yale University: Music Cataloguing at Yale: Call Numbers
A SUBJECT search is NOT the same as a KEYWORD search. Library of Congress Subject Headings are assigned by cataloguers.
- Sonatas (Violin and...)
- Suites (Violin and...)
- Concertos (Violin)
- Violin Instruction and study
- Violin Studies
WARNING: If, for example, you use the Subject "violin music" you will find miscellaneous solo works only! Most music will be found under the subject heading for a specific genre.
Words or terms from Subject Headings may be used in KEYWORD searching.
Consult section on String Ensembles.
Much unusual and twentieth-century music for the violin may be found in the Solo Music Reference Collection housed in the Choral/Band/Orchestral Music Library. The general classification number for violin music in the SMRC is MUS 4040.
- Early Music
- American String Teacher
- Orchestra Canada - becomes OC News (1998)
- International Musician (the American Federation of Musicians union publication)
- Historical Performance - becomes Early Music America
New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians
Ref ML 100.G8 2001 - on the Dictionary Table and online (Western-only).
Detailed and scholarly information on the history of the violin and the violin repertory.
GROVEMUSIC - The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians
[online] Updated regularly. Western-only.
Grovemusic provides access to the full text of:
The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd. ed., 29 vols., published in 2001 (25 million words; 29,000 articles), plus the complete text of:
- The New Grove Dictionary of Opera (1992),
- The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, 2nd edition,
- The Norton Grove Dictionary of Women Composers (1994),
- The Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition (2013), and
- The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, 2nd edition (2014).
The most efficient way to find the Music Library's books on the history of the violin, is to do a
Subject search on Violin History.
There are many ways to find recordings of violin music:
- Violin Music Discography
- Finding CDs, LP Recordings and Videos
- Western's Don Wright Faculty of Music Student / Faculty / Guest Artist Recitals
- Checking commercial web-vendors (for currently-available CDs, etc.)