Find Repertoire for Cello
Browse the Shelves for Cello Music
|M 50 - 54||cello alone with no accompaniment|
|M 229 - 236||cello with piano or continuo|
|M 231||cello sonatas|
|M 1016||cello with full orchestra, concertos, etc.|
|M 1017||cello with piano reduction of orchestral part|
|M 1116||cello with string orchestra, concertos, etc.|
|M 1117||cello with string orchestra, piano reduction|
|MT 300 - 318||studies, methods, and technique for cello|
|MT 306||orchestral excerpts for cello|
Additional information regarding Call Numbers/Class Numbers can be found at Music Cataloguing at Yale: Music Call Numbers
Library of Congress/Class M, Music Classification are assigned by cataloguers. You must use the same Subject Headings to find desired repertoire.
- Sonatas (Cello and...)
- Suites (Cello and...)
- Concertos (Cello)
- Cello Instruction and Study
- Cello Studies
WARNING: If for example, you use the Subject "violoncello music" you will find miscellaneous solo works only!
Most music will be found under the subject heading for a specific genre.
Words or terms from Subject Headings may be used in KEYWORD searching.
Consult section on String Ensembles.
Much unusual and twentieth-century music for the violoncello may be found in the Solo Music Reference Collection housed in the Choral/Band/Orchestral Music Library. The general classification number for violoncello music in the SMRC is MUS 4050.
- Early Music
- American String Teacher
- Orchestra Canada - becomes OC News (1998)
- International Musician (the American Federation of Musicians union publication)
- Historical Performance - becomes Early Music America
Both iterations of the New Grove Dictionary (listed below) contain detailed and scholarly information on the history of the cello and members of the violoncello family and its extensive repertory:
Regularly updated, Grovemusic provides access to the full text of:
- The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd. ed., 29 vols., published in 2001 (25 million words; 29,000 articles), plus the complete text of
- The New Grove Dictionary of Opera (1992),
- The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, 2nd edition,
- The Norton Grove Dictionary of Women Composers (1994),
- The Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd edition (2013), and
- The Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, 2nd edition (2014).
The fastest way to find books about cello history is to search the Western Libraries Catalogue using the Subject Cello History.