Finding Repertoire for Woodwind Ensembles
Find a Known Piece of Music
Browse the Shelves for Music
|M 357.2||woodwind trios|
|M 457.2||woodwind quartets|
|M 557.2||woodwind quintets|
|M 657.2||woodwind sextets|
|M 757.2||woodwind octets|
|M 957.2||woodwind nonets|
Additional information regarding call numbers can be found at Music Cataloguing at Yale: Call Numbers from Yale University.
Subject Headings for woodwinds-only in an ensemble include:
- Woodwind Trios
- Woodwind Quartets, etc.
- Woodwind trios (Bassoon, flute, oboe)
- Woodwind sextets (Basooons (2), clarinets (2), oboe (2)), etc.
Note: instrumentation is listed in alphabetical order, not score order, after each heading.
The following Subject Heading searches for woodwinds with other instruments (mixed ensembles) have been filtered to scores-only:
- trios (piano, clarinet, violin)
- quartets (flute, violin, viola, violoncello)
- quintets (bassoon, violins (2), viola, violoncello)
- wind quintets (bassoon, clarinet, flute, horn, oboe)***
***N.B. This is the standard combination for a wind quintet
Exception: Woodwind instruments with brass instruments (only) are found under the basic headings "wind trios", "wind quartets", etc.
Note: After each basic Subject Heading the instruments are organized in the following order:
- winds (alphabetically)
- strings (in score order)
For information on ensembles containing piano and one woodwind instrument, consult the following pages:
- Chamber Music Discographies
- Finding CDs, LP Recordings and Videos
Western Libraries owns more than 27,000 CDs. KEYWORD searching is a fast and efficient way to find the ones you want.
- Faculty of Music Student / Faculty / Guest Artist Recitals