New Tri-Agency Open Access Policy - What it means for Western's grant recipients
Published on May 01, 2015
On February 27, the Canadian funding agencies (CIHR, NSERC, SSHRC) announced a new Tri-Agency Open Access Policy on Publications that requires federally funded peer-reviewed research to be freely accessible within 12 months of publication. The objective of this policy is to improve access to the results of Agency-funded research, and to increase the dissemination and exchange of research results.
This policy applies to all grants awarded May 1, 2015 and onward. While not required, researchers holding grants that were awarded prior to May 1, 2015 are encouraged to adhere to the requirements of this policy. A Quick Answers Guide on the Tri-Agency Open Access Policy on Publications is available from the Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL).
Grant recipients at Western University can comply with this policy in a number of ways:
- deposit your accepted manuscript (usually not final publisher PDF) free of charge in an online open access Institutional Repository such as Western Libraries’ Scholarship@Western,
- publish your work free of charge in an online open access repository like arXiv,
- publish in a reputable open access journal (an article processing charge may or may not apply),
- pay a fee to a publisher to allow for open access to your article.
Western Libraries can help you:
- determine which version of your manuscript the journal publisher will allow for deposit into an institutional or other online repository, such as Scholarship@Western,
- with the deposit process into Scholarship@Western,
- negotiate and understand your authors' rights agreements when your paper has been accepted,
- determine reputable open access journals to publish in,
- find discipline specific open access repositories, and
- by funding up to $3,000.00 for article processing charges when publishing in an open access journal. Please see Western Libraries Open Access Fund for criteria information and application form.
For more information about open access and author agreements, please visit http://www.lib.uwo.ca/scholarship.