Point of Care Tools
Published on September 25, 2015
Point Of Care tools are those reference resources that a physician or other health care professional can utilize immediately at the Point-Of-Care (POC) or the bedside. Western Libraries provides access to a suite of tools to ensure that learners are exposed to a range of options.
Western Libraries supports a suite of tools that our learners, faculty and staff can access:
- ACP Smart Medicine – a decision-support tool for rapid point-of-care delivery of up-to-date, evidence-based guidance for clinicians
- DynaMed - a clinical reference point-of-care tool
- E-CPS/RxTx - Canadian Pharmacist Association’s online Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties (eCPS) covers Canadian drug information
- Essential Evidence Plus - evidence-based healthcare information covering clinical content, services, tools, and calculators
- Micromedex - Evidence based clinical decision support (CDS) for medication, toxicology, disease, acute care and alternative medicine
- Natural Medicines - authoritative resource on dietary supplements, natural medicines, and complementary alternative and integrative therapies
Point of care tools such as DynaMed, e-CPS/RxTx, Micromedex and Natural Medicines provide access to drug information.
All POC tools are available remotely via off campus access and have mobile capabilities, ensuring equitable availability to Western students, residents and affiliated clinical educators, regardless of location including the Schulich Windsor satellite campus.
Western Libraries has created a series of guides that may be helpful:
- Western Libraries clinical outreach guide at: http://guides.lib.uwo.ca/clinicaloutreach
- Western Libraries undergraduate medical education guide at: http://guides.lib.uwo.ca/undergraduatemedicaleducation
Changes to UpToDate
For the past year, Western Libraries and the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry have been reviewing the point of care options that they support. Based on financial considerations, Western Libraries and Schulich Medicine & Dentistry have mutually agreed to no longer support the UpToDate (UTD) Point of Care Tool. This is effective August 31, 2015. For more information see: Important Notice about Changes to UpToDate