The Teaching Support Centre is offering a day of orientation activities for new faculty members (i.e, full-time, part-time, sessional faculty who have joined the university in the past 12 months).
9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Welcome and Introductions
- Janice Deakin, Provost & Vice-President (Academic)
- Debra Dawson, Director, Teaching Support Centre
- Jennifer Holburn, Coordinator, Faculty Recruitment and Retention
9:30 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. Who Are Our Western Students?
Facilitator: Nanda Dimitrov, Associate Director, Teaching Support Centre
Panelists: Iain Smith, Senior Liaison Officer; 2 undergraduate students and 2 graduate students
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Rules and Rhythm of the Academic Year
- Mike Atkinson, Faculty Associate, Teaching Support Centre
12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Teaching Resource Fair and Complimentary Lunch
- Join the TSC team for lunch and meet representatives from a variety of campus services.
1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.(Concurrent Sessions - Choose One)
Faculty Mentor Program (for tenure-track faculty)
- Madeline Lennon, Coordinator, Faculty Mentor Program, Teaching Support Centre
Roundtable Discussion: Support for part-time and sessional faculty
- Representatives from Office of Faculty Relations
2:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. Promoting Academic Integrity
- Nadine LeGros, Language & Communication Instructor, Teaching Support Centre
- Jennifer Meister, Ombudsperson
2:45 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. International Experiences and Opportunities at Western
- Lise Pedersen, Manager International Learning, Western International
3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Reflections/Advice from Veteran New Faculty
Facilitator: Debra Dawson, Teaching Support Centre
Panelists: Yolanda Babenko-Mould (Nursing); Karen Priestman (History); Dave Walton (Physical Therapy)
5:00 p.m. The Office of Faculty Recruitment and Retention will host a BBQ to welcome new academic members and their families to the Western community at 5:00 p.m. at Delaware Hall
THIS PROGRAM IS INTENDED FOR FACULTY. REGISTRATION IS RESTRICTED TO FULL AND PART-TIME FACULTY MEMBERS.