Members of the general public (individuals or organizations) who are engaged in legitimate research activities may apply for Guest Borrowing privileges by submitting an application form electronically or in person at any Service Desk. Approval of the application may take up to one week. Fees apply.
- Individuals: $35 for 3 months; $100 for 1 year
- Organizations: $500 for 1 year.
Renewal of borrowing privileges is not automatic; you must submit a new application form.
Upon approval of your application and payment of fees you will be issued with a Guest Borrower's card.
To borrow items, present your Guest Borrower's card at any Service Desk.
Guest Borrowers may:
- borrow regular loan items for 14 days from any of the Western Libraries and the Affiliated University Colleges Libraries (Brescia, Huron, King’s) and St. Peter’s Seminary
- borrow a maximum of 5 items at a time
- renew items once.
Guest Borrowers may not:
- borrow reserve or short loan items
- recall items from other users
- request extended loans
- use Interlibrary Loans.
Guest Borrowers are not permitted to recall items, but items they have borrowed may be recalled.
- you will be notified by email, text/SMS alert, or mail when an item you have borowed has been recalled
- recalled items must be returned by the date specified on the recall notice.
- you are assured of at least seven days use of the recalled item before it must be returned.
You may renew items online through My Library Account or in person at any Service Desk.
Fines and Suspensions
Suspension of borrowing privileges occurs when a loaned item becomes overdue or if you have over $5.00 in fines.
Library items should be returned as soon as they are no longer needed so they are available for use by others.
View an overview of Western Libraries' borrowing policies and procedures.
For more detail, see the Access Code for Western Libraries.