Western Libraries provides remote access to our Shared Library Catalogue.
Due to licensing agreements, Western Libraries is not able to support remote access to subscribed electronic databases and resources.
Western Alumni seeking remote access to databases and online resources may wish to explore:
- what is available through your local public library. Most public libraries offer online access to their collections. All that is required for remote access is a valid public library card. Contact your local public library for more information.
- WorldCat, a global catalog of library collections, to search "more than 10,000 libraries worldwide". Narrow your search results to a library near you.
- Wikipedia's list of "free online resources".
- Wikipedia's list of "open-access journals".
- Google, search for "free [subject] databases", or "free [subject] journals", where [subject] is your broad area of research (e.g.: English or Biology).
- Google Scholar, search for articles, some of which may be freely available online.
- Google Books, search for books, some of which may be freely available online. Look for the "Find in a library" link (in the left sidebar, perhaps under "Get this book in print") to find copies in WorldCat.