Western Libraries’ journal publishing service offers a no-fee local publication facility for students and faculty who wish to publish an online open access journal. We partner with the Ontario Council of University Libraries (OCUL) and Scholars Portal to host and distribute more than 30 open access journals.
Western Libraries provides support in the set-up and continued maintenance of journals, as well as guidance in increasing the visibility and discoverability of online journal content. Our librarians and staff will facilitate indexing and dissemination of your journal’s contents, and validate standard identifiers for the publication and its content as needed.
Western’s library-hosted journals use the Open Journal Systems (OJS) platform. OJS is a collaborative, open-source journal management and publishing system that has been developed by the Public Knowledge Project.
For more information about using the OJS publishing system, or about improving your journal’s visibility, please see the following resources:
- Creative Commons Licensing
- Creating Accessible Documents
- Using the HTML Galley Template (pdf)
- Resources for OJS themes and design
- Design Resources from Huron Library & Learning Services
- DOIs For Your Journal
- Complete OJS documentation from PKP
- Setting up your Journal: Video Collection by PKP
- OJS Plugin Recommendations