The D. B. Weldon Library boasts a large collection of microform newspapers and significant research sets. The material is located on the lower level of the library, with readers available for both microfilm and microfiche materials. Copies can be made from the reader-printers that are available on the First Floor at 10¢ per frame. For more information on our copiers and readers, see Microform Copiers & Readers.
Now available online! A Guide to Selected Microform Collections and Sets in The D. B. Weldon Library, 2nd edition.
Research sets include:
- Early Canadiana Research Collection Early English Books (1475-1640)
- Early English Books (1641-1700)*
- Gerritsen Collection of Women's History, 1543-1945
- Marburger Index
- Oregon Physical Education Files
- Early American Imprints First Series (1639-1800, Evans)
- Early American Imprints Second Series (1801-1819), Shaw-Shoemaker
- Slavery Source Materials
- Papers of the Women's Trade Union League and Its Principal Leaders
- Three Centuries of English and American Plays, 1500-1830
* Early English Books is supplemented by Early English Books Online (EEBO).
Our newspaper collection includes an extensive array of historical Southwestern Ontario newspapers published in London and the surrounding area, as well as major Canadian and international newspapers. The scope of the years ranges from historical to contemporary. We also maintain microform backfiles of heavily-used journal and periodical titles, such as:
- Sports Illustrated
- Psychology Today
- Publishers' Weekly
- Quill & Quire
Specialized subject collections include
- Early English Newspapers
- Early British Periodicals
- English Literary Periodicals
- Two Centuries of British Periodicals
- American Periodicals Series I (1741-1800)
- Series II (1800-1850)
Microforms can be found through keyword and title searches in the library catalogue. Some sets have guides and indexes published with the collections; in addition, we also have indexes covering some of the Canadian newspapers and periodicals.
Microfiche and microfilm readers are located in the Microforms Centre on the ground floor of the library.
Self-service microfilm and microfiche copiers are located on the main floor of the library in the Print/Copy Centre. Each 8½" X 11" page costs 10¢. Three copiers are equipped with vendacard readers and accept regular Graphic Services Debit Cards. The copier is coin operated and requires exact change. A change machine is located near the Service Desk.
Please feel free to ask staff at the Research Help desk for assistance in gaining access to any of the Microforms collection, or in using the viewing and copying equipment.