Any Western student who has successfully completed a minimum of 5 courses, or who has graduated from Western is eligible for alumni borrowing privileges.
An alumni card is required to borrow items. You can obtain a free Western alumni card from Alumni Relations.
Bring your alumni card to any Service Desk during full service hours to create your library account and then yearly for renewal.
- borrow regular loan items for 14 days from any of the Western Libraries and the Affiliated University Colleges Libraries (Brescia, Huron, King’s) and St. Peter’s Seminary
- renew borrowed items 3 times.
Alumni may not:
- borrow reserve or short loan items
- recall items from other users
- request extended loans
- use Interlibrary Loans.
Alumni are not permitted to recall items, but items you have borrowed may be recalled.
- you will be notified by email, text/SMS alert or mail when an item you have borrowed has been recalled
- recalled items must be returned by the date specified on the recall notice
- you are assured of at least seven days use of the recalled item before it must be returned.
Items in Storage
To request items with a location of STORAGE- Use Request Item or STORAGE- Library Use Only please contact staff or ask at any Western Libraries Service Desk. Storage items take 2-3 weekdays to be retrieved.
You may renew borrowed items online through My Library Account, or in person at any Service Desk.
Fines and Suspensions
Suspension of borrowing privileges occurs when a loaned item becomes overdue or if you have over $5.00 in fines.
Library items should be returned as soon as they are no longer needed so they are available for use by others.
Regular loan and recalled items may be returned to any of the Western Libraries or Affiliated University College Libraries in person, mail or courier by the date specified.
View an overview of Western Libraries' borrowing policies and procedures.
For more detail see the Access Code for Western Libraries.