Retired Faculty and Staff - Borrowing
You are eligible for borrowing privileges if you are:
- a retired Western faculty member with less than 5 years of service
- a retired Western staff member
Off campus access to online databases and resources ends shortly after you retire. On campus access is available with a one day guest pass. Your library account will continue for about one year after your retirement date, and will be deleted if not actively used. See below for information about borrowing.
Emeriti- Western faculty, librarians and archivists who attain emeritus status either by working at the university for 5 or more years or by having it conferred upon them by the dean of their faculty continue to have the same borrowing privileges. This includes access to online resources and other library services.
To borrow items, present your Western ONECard at any Service Desk.
If you do not have a Western ONECard, show your current Manulife card to library staff to confirm your retired status. A borrower card will be issued to you with an expiry date of one year.
- borrow regular loan items for 14 days from any of the Western Libraries and the Affiliated University Colleges Libraries (Brescia, Huron, Kings) and St. Peter’s Seminary
- renew items up to 3 times unless they are recalled by another user.
Retireees may not:
- borrow reserve or short loan items
- recall items from other users
- request extended loans
- use Western Libraries' Interlibrary Loans service.
You are not permitted to recall items, but items you have borrowed may be recalled:
- you will be notified by email, text/SMS alert, or mail when an item you have borrowed has been recalled
- recalled items must be returned by the date specified on the recall notice.
You are assured of at least seven days use of the recalled item before it must be returned.
You may renew items online through My Library Account or in person at any Service Desk.
Fines and Suspensions
Suspension of borrowing privileges occurs when a loaned item becomes overdue or you have over $5.00 in fines.
Library items should be returned as soon as they are no longer needed so they are available for use by others.
See an overview of Western Libraries' borrowing policies and procedures.
For more detail see the Access Code for Western Libraries.