Fines and Suspensions
|Fines and Fine Rates||Suspended Accounts|
|Lost or Damages Items||Items Reported as Lost|
|Refunds For Paid Items||Payment|
|Fines Appeals||Academic Sanctions (Sealed Records)|
Overdue or recall fines are assessed when you keep an item beyond the specified due date. Fines will accumulate until the overdue item is returned or the maximum fine is reached. A fine is not assessed to your account until the item has been returned to the library.
Western Libraries and the Affiliated University College Libraries (Brescia, Huron, King's) and St. Peter's Seminary have a fines threshold of $5.00. If you have $5.00 or less in accumulated fines, you may continue to borrow and carry out library transactions (i.e. check out items, place requests, renew items, etc.).
Western Libraries' Fine Rates:
|Item Type||Per Item||Maximum Per Item|
|Regular Loans||75¢ /day||$60.00|
|Hourly Loans||$2.00 /hour||$60.00|
|Short Loans||$2.00 /day||$60.00|
- Brescia University College Library
- Huron University College Library
- King's University College Library
- St. Peter's Seminary Library
Information about Western Libraries' lending policies can be found in the Access Code for Western Libraries.
If you have outstanding overdue items, your borrowing privileges are suspended in accordance with s. 8 of the Access Code for Western Libraries. Fines in excess of the $5.00 fines threshold also suspend your borrowing privileges. To reinstate your borrowing privileges, you must return all overdue items and pay your fines.
Repeated violation of borrowing rules may lead to the permanent suspension of privileges.
An item that is 35 days (or more) overdue is presumed lost, and is billed for replacement. Western Libraries issues invoices for the replacement cost plus associated processing and billing fees for long overdue items. The replacement cost includes:
- the item replacement cost
- $30.00 processing fee
- $5.00 billing fee
Lost and/or damaged materials from Western Libraries are billed to your account. The average item replacement cost for each library location may be used for billing. Western Libraries reserves the right to charge the actual price if the item’s value is more than the location’s average item replacement cost.
Average Item Replacement Cost By Location
|Library Location||Average Item Replacement Cost|
|Storage||The price for an item located in “Storage" is determined by its original owning library.|
Items that are lost or damaged must be reported promptly to the owning library where staff will determine the replacement cost.
Western Libraries will refund the replacement charges (i.e. item/processing/billing fees) minus the accumulated daily fines for items returned within one year of payment.
After one year there will be no reimbursement. Although they have been paid for, all items remain the property of Western Libraries (see Access Code for Western Libraries, section 8.4).
- Cash and personal cheques are accepted at all locations. Please make cheques payable to "The University of Western Ontario."
- Interac, Visa and MasterCard are accepted at: Allyn & Betty Taylor Library, The D.B. Weldon Library and King's University College Library.
- an online payment option is available to faculty, students and staff of Western and the Affiliated University Colleges through My Library Account using Visa or MasterCard.
Fines may be paid:
- at the Service Desk of any of the Western Libraries and the Affiliated University College Libraries (Brescia, Huron, King's) and St. Peter's Seminary during full service hours
- through the online payment option
Payment for billed for replacement items:
- from Western Libraries- can be paid at any Western Libraries Service Desk
- from the Affiliated University College Libraries (Brescia, Huron, King’s) and St. Peter’s Seminary- must be paid at the owning library.
We encourage you to first discuss your situation with staff at the owning library where the overdue or billed for replacement item originates.
Before submitting an appeal, please review s. 8 & 10 of the Access Code for Western Libraries.
If your account is sealed due to outstanding library charges, you may pay the sealing fee in person at the Service Desk of any of the Western Libraries and the Affiliated University College Libraries (Brescia, Huron, King's) and St. Peter's Seminary during full service hours. Alternatively, you may pay the sealing fee through the online payment option.
The fee for unsealing records is $40.00 and is non-refundable.
Note: Fine policies at the Affiliated University College Libraries may vary.