Services and Facilities
Services available at the Map Collection include access to the map, atlas, and air photo holdings and reference assistance related to locating cartographic materials.
Staff are available for consultations pertaining to cartographic material. Please contact us to schedule an appointment.
Map Collection staff are available for in-class instruction. This includes topics such as the location and identification of print map and online sources, tailored to the class needs. Print maps, atlases, and air photos from the Map Collection can be used as components in a course lab. Through consultation with Map Collection staff, class labs can be left out in our area for instructional purposes.
We also provide ad hoc instruction and assistance to individuals or groups who visit the Map Collection in person. Please schedule tours for groups of four persons or more with the Map Collection staff in advance.
The Map Collection participates in an Interlibrary Loan service to either locate materials for patrons that are not in our holdings, or to lend materials to patrons of other libraries if necessary. Requests from other university libraries should be made through the interlibrary loan department of that institution.
This service is offered by the Department of Actuarial Sciences in cooperation with Western Libraries. This service will be provided in the Map and Data Centre, located on the Ground Floor of the D.B. Weldon Library.
Please visit our "Western Data Science Solutions" page for more information.
There are 5 workstations equipped with statistical software and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software. These stations are available for drop-in use, but priority will be given to those requiring assistance from Map and Data Centre staff for statistical and GIS projects.
Two collaborative technology rooms are located within the Centre. Within each of these bookable rooms are tables that permit multiple device connections to a wall mounted screen, as well as a PC with GIS and statistical software programs installed. Preference will be provided to bookings made by groups over individual use, as the technology promotes group collaboration.
- EPSON Expression 10000XL Graphics Arts flatbed scanner; 12.2" x 17.2"; 2400 dpi resolution with 48-bit colour.
* This scanner is reserved for resources located at the Map Collection.
- Toshiba e-Studio 3505AC photocopier
- Capable of copying in black ink or colour
- Either Letter size (8.5" x 11") or Ledger size (11" x 17") paper.
- The per-page cost is $0.10 for black and white ($0.20 for double-sided) and $0.50 for colour ($1.00 for double-sided). This photocopier no longer accepts cash or graphic services cards. Please visit the Print, Copy, Scan page for more details on the new process.
All members of the Western community need to be aware of, and respect the intellectual property rights of others.
Copying or scanning a copyright-protected work is infringement, unless:
- You are acting under an exception to infringement such as Fair Dealing or the Educational Institutions exception, as set out in the Canadian Copyright Act;
- You have permission as articulated in a licence;
- You have received clearance from the copyright owner.
Western is not responsible for infringing copies reproduced or transmitted by photocopiers, printers or scanners made available on its premises.
For additional copyright questions, please visit copyright.uwo.ca.