Western Data Science Solutions
Looking for help with statistics?
What do we offer?
Western Data Science Solutions (formerly the Data Analytics Help Service) offers statistical consulting and workshops on software and data analysis. These services are brought to you by the Department of Statistical and Actuarial Sciences in cooperation with Western Libraries and with generous support from Western University through targeted funding to the Faculty of Science.
The service occasionally offers short courses in R: see http://www.stats.uwo.ca/modules/piCal/?cid=00010 for scheduled courses.
Researchers seeking more extensive statistical consulting services, or customized workshops for students, faculty or staff can contact Dr. Vera Tai (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inquire about arrangements such as fee-for-service projects or collaborative research with faculty and/or graduate students in the Department of Statistical and Actuarial Sciences.
Where are we located?
Through the summer, these services will be either offered in the Map and Data Centre (Collaborative Technology Room 17A on the ground floor of the D.B. Weldon Library), or by arrangement in the Western Sciences Centre. Specific location arrangements will be made on an individual appointment basis.
What are our hours?
Consulting for the spring 2017 term is now completed.
For the summer 2017 term (May to August):
- The service will change to a blend of free and user-pay:
- The first hour of consulting will be free.
- If subsequent consultation hours are needed, these will be provided at a rate of $40 per hour. Please contact Dr. Vera Tai (Supervisor of Western Data Science Solutions) if you would like consultation beyond the first hour or for more information.
- Analytical service can also be provided for a fee ($50 per hour): contact Dr. Vera Tai to discuss this service.
How do you book a Western Data Science Solutions appointment?
How do you contact the Western Data Science Solutions Help Service?
How is the service intended to assist users?
Here are some examples:
- Planning for appropriate sampling and study designs and the choice of appropriate statistical methodology (e.g., I want to study this subject - how should I conduct the study and conduct my statistical analysis to address my research question?);
- Data analysis (e.g., What summaries and procedures should I use, or how do I produce them?);
- Interpretation of results (e.g., I've done this analysis - what does it mean?);
- Software selection and use (e.g., Would it be best to use R, SPSS or SAS for the analysis I need to do? How do I get started?);
What is the service NOT intended for?
Here are some examples:
- To do the statistical analysis for a research project. Note that the role of the consultants in Western Data Science Solutions is to guide and provide instruction to researchers to produce their own summaries, analyses and reports. Researchers seeking more extensive services can contact Dr. Vera Tai (email@example.com) to inquire about arrangements such as fee-for-service projects or collaborative research opportunities with faculty and/or graduate students in the Department of Statistical and Actuarial Sciences.
- To develop course materials or to offer a session or workshop outside the Department of Statistical & Actuarial Sciences. Faculties, Units or faculty members seeking these types of services can contact Dr. Vera Tai (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inquire about possible arrangements.
- To provide statistics course help. If you are taking a statistics course through the Department of Statistical & Actuarial Sciences, visit the Statistics Help Centre (From http://www.stats.uwo.ca/ navigate through Undergraduate > Current Students > Help Centre Schedule). Otherwise, please contact your instructor and/or course TAs for help.
Please provide feedback!
If you have used the service (either through a scheduled appointment or drop-in), please complete the anonymous feedback form (http://goo.gl/forms/FHVBQhDZ3A) for each visit. Your responses will be used to evaluate the service, to help us improve the service and to help us secure support to keep it running!