Western Data Science Solutions
Looking for help with statistics?
What do we offer?
Western Data Science Solutions (WDSS) offers statistical consulting and workshops on software and data analysis. These services are brought to you by the Department of Statistical and Actuarial Sciences in cooperation with Western Libraries and with generous support from Western University through targeted funding to the Faculty of Science.
WDSS occasionally offers short workshops in R.
Consult the WDSS homepage for further information about the service.
Book an Appointment
Where is the help desk?
Due to the ongoing events with COVID-19, the help desk service will be conducted via Skype. After you book an appointment, a statistical consultant will contact you to arrange the Skype meeting.
What are the help desk hours?
The consulting service will be available during the Winter term from January 21 - April 9, 2020.
During the Winter academic term, help desk hours are:
|Tuesdays||1:00pm - 4:00pm||via Skype||Consultant 1, except Mar. 12 & 19 (Consultant 2)|
|Thursdays||1:00pm - 4:00pm||via Skype||Consultant 2, except Jan. 23 & 30 (Consultant 1)|
|Fridays||1:00pm - 4:00pm||via Skype||Consultant 3|
Priority will be given to those with scheduled appointments. However, consultants will be happy to meet with you on a drop-in basis when they are not with another client.
How do you contact the help desk?
Send an email to email@example.com.
How is the help desk intended to assist users?
Here are some examples:
- Planning for appropriate sampling and study designs and the choice of appropriate statistical methodology (e.g., I want to study this subject - how should I conduct the study and conduct my statistical analysis to address my research question?);
- Data analysis (e.g., What summaries and procedures should I use, or how do I produce them?);
- Interpretation of results (e.g., I've done this analysis - what does it mean?);
- Software selection and use (e.g., Would it be best to use R, SPSS or SAS for the analysis I need to do? How do I get started?);
What is the help desk NOT intended for?
Here are some examples:
- To do the statistical analysis for a research project. Note that the role of the consultants in Western Data Science Solutions is to guide and provide instruction to researchers to produce their own summaries, analyses and reports.
- To develop course materials or to offer a session or workshop outside the Department of Statistical & Actuarial Sciences.
- To provide statistics course help. If you are taking a statistics course through the Department of Statistical & Actuarial Sciences, visit the Statistics Help Centre (navigate through Undergraduate > Current Students > Help Centre Schedule). Otherwise, please contact your instructor and/or course TAs for help.
Researchers, departments or units seeking more extensive statistical consulting services, customized workshops, etc. can contact Dr. Vera Tai to inquire about arrangements such as fee-for-service projects or collaborative research with faculty and/or graduate students in the Department of Statistical and Actuarial Sciences.