Western Data Science Solutions
Looking for help with statistics?
What do we offer?
Western Data Science Solutions (WDSS) offers statistical consulting and workshops on software and data analysis. These services are brought to you by the Department of Statistical and Actuarial Sciences in cooperation with Western Libraries and with generous support from Western University through targeted funding to the Faculty of Science.
WDSS occasionally offers short workshops in R: see http://www.uwo.ca/stats/services/workshops.html for scheduled workshops.
Consult the WDSS home page for further information about the service.
Book an Appointment
From May 1 - August 30, these services will be available by custom appointments only. To book an appointment, email email@example.com with a short description of your question. A consultant will be in touch with you to arrange a meeting time and location.
How do you contact the help desk?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How is the help desk intended to assist users?
Here are some examples:
- Planning for appropriate sampling and study designs and the choice of appropriate statistical methodology (e.g., I want to study this subject - how should I conduct the study and conduct my statistical analysis to address my research question?);
- Data analysis (e.g., What summaries and procedures should I use, or how do I produce them?);
- Interpretation of results (e.g., I've done this analysis - what does it mean?);
- Software selection and use (e.g., Would it be best to use R, SPSS or SAS for the analysis I need to do? How do I get started?);
What is the help desk NOT intended for?
Here are some examples:
- To do the statistical analysis for a research project. Note that the role of the consultants in Western Data Science Solutions is to guide and provide instruction to researchers to produce their own summaries, analyses and reports.
- To develop course materials or to offer a session or workshop outside the Department of Statistical & Actuarial Sciences.
- To provide statistics course help. If you are taking a statistics course through the Department of Statistical & Actuarial Sciences, visit the Statistics Help Centre (From http://www.stats.uwo.ca/ navigate through Undergraduate > Current Students > Help Centre Schedule). Otherwise, please contact your instructor and/or course TAs for help.
Researchers, departments or units seeking more extensive statistical consulting services, customized workshops, etc. can contact Dr. Vera Tai (email@example.com) to inquire about arrangements such as fee-for-service projects or collaborative research with faculty and/or graduate students in the Department of Statistical and Actuarial Sciences.
Please provide feedback!
The day after your appointment, you will receive an e-mail with a link to provide feedback. If you used the help desk as a drop-in client, please complete the anonymous feedback form (http://goo.gl/forms/FHVBQhDZ3A). Your feedback is vital for the continued operation of the service!