The Drs. James and Margaret Whitby Music Collections
Avid local chamber musicians, the Drs. Whitby have amassed a significant collection of antiquarian chamber music, which they have generously donated to the Music Library, Western Libraries. The Collection includes early editions of Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven alongside works of their contemporaries, namely: Boccherini, Cambini, Gyrowetz, Peter Hänsel, Krommer, Onslow, Pleyel, the Rombergs, and Spohr.
The Drs. Whitby have been generously donating their collection to the Music Library in installments. Our cataloguers have been working ferociously to catalogue the items within the collection.
As of 2015, approximately half of the Collection has been catalogued. To locate items in the collection in the catalogue perform a keyword search using "Dr. James L and Dr. Margaret Whitby donation" AND *insert your keyword here* (e.g. "Dr. James L. and Dr. Margaret Whitby donation" Haydn).
The Whitby Collections are in the process of being digitized via the Internet Archive. Click HERE to view the available digitized titles from the Whitby Collections.
Please email the staff of the Music Library - to request retrieval of a particular title.
For items that have not yet been catalogued, we require both the Whitby No. and the GMAR box number to retrieve the item.
Additional Finding Aids:
- 2009 - songbooks, organ music, chamber music (4-7 parts), concerti grossi (8 parts) including much Handel, Geminiani and Avison.
- 2008 - Haydn: contemporary imprints of works by Haydn, plus a wide variety of works dedicated to Haydn.
- 2007 - 295 violin and keyboard works from the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries; 41 song-books (UK) from the early 18th to the mid-19th centuries
- 2006 - primarily songbooks, of Scots, Welsh and British origin, plus some French chanson for 1-3 voices, including Calliope and Orpheus Britannicus.
- 2005 - 126 chamber transcriptions (string quartets, string quintets, string quartet with flute, etc.) of contemporary opera repertoire from the 18th and 19th centuries
The collections are in the process of being digitized via the Internet Archive. Click here for a list of Whitby items available on the Internet Archive.
|Philpott, Lisa Rae. "The Drs. James L. and Margaret Whitby Music Collections, Music|
|Library, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada." Fontes Artis|
|Musicae 63/3 (2016): 235-238.|