Virtual Exhibits contains links to online exhibits created by Western Archives with materials from the holdings. The exhibits are frequently created alongside physical exhibits presented in The John A. Schweitzer Gallery, located at the entrance to the public reading room.
Eldon House, located at 481 Ridout Street North, was built in 1834 for John Harris, Treasurer of the London District, and occupied by his family - his wife Amelia and their eight children; two more children were born in 1836 and 1839. It was first named Eldon Terrace, shortly thereafter changed to Eldon House.
The Faculty of Nursing began as an extension of the Department of Public Health at Western which, at the time, was controlled by The Institute of Public Health. The Department of Public Health allowed for the staff of the Institute to instruct both medical and arts students in science as well as perform lab work for southwestern Ontario.
The History of Medicine Collection virtual exhibit is intended to provide an overview of the archival collection housed at Western Archives. By examining the correspondence, certificates, and pictures, we are able to gain significant insight into the life and times of medical students and doctors at The University of Western Ontario in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
In the early years there were several attempts to start a nursing program at the University of Western Ontario, but funding was not immediately available. Nursing at UWO began as part of the Faculty of Public Health in 1920, which offered the Certificate in Public Health Nursing for students previously trained in hospital schools.
The Institute of Public Health Fonds contains textual documents and photos about The Institute of Public Health and Faculty of Public Health at The University of Western Ontario.
Dubbed "Stars of the Town" by their creator, the late Rev. LeRoy (Roy) H. Massecar (1918-2003), the collection of 85 silent black and white 8mm films representing 88 Ontario locations depict small town life in the province between 1947 and 1949.
The former London Asylum for the Insane (LAI) opened in 1870, and has transformed over the years in response to changing approaches to mental health care. In 1869 the provincial legislature appropriated $100,000 to build the London Asylum for the Insane, and 300 acres of land were purchased at $67 an acre. Older asylums at Malden and Orillia closed and were replaced by the new facility in London. The LAI was ready for occupation within 18 months of the site's purchase and its first patients arrived from Malden and Orillia in November 1871.
100th Anniversary of Western's Board of Governors
This exhibit commemorates two 100th anniversaries: the first meeting of Western’s Board of Governors on September 17, 1908, and the precedent-setting decision of the municipality of the City of London later that year to grant financial aid to Western.
The purpose of this site is to introduce Fire Insurance Plans at Western Archives. It is our hope that this site will help to increase public’s awareness and knowledge of Fire Insurance Plans in general. More specifically, we try to make Western Archives’ extensive collection of Fire Insurance Plans known and accessible to the public.
The JP Metras Sports Museum houses textual records, photographs and memorabilia relating to the history of athletics at Western University. The Museum is located in Alumni Hall on the University campus. This exhibit explores the history of intercollegiate sports at Western University using materials from the Museum's collection and Western Archives.